Rückzug aus Google Hangouts und Skype

Ich bin ja schon seit ein paar Jahren nicht mehr bei ICQ oder Yahoo im Messenger online, seit Google Talk auf XMPP basiert ist. Damit konnte man sehr schön über XMPP Federation mit anderen Usern chatten und musste nicht mehr in deren Diensten einen Account haben.

Langsam aber sicher sind dann alle Kontakte in Google online gekommen und waren über Google Talk und später Google Hangouts erreichbar. Und dann entschloss sich Google einen auf Facebook zu machen und schaltete XMPP Federation ab. Plötzlich konnte man nur noch mit den Kontakten chatten, die auch Hangouts benutzten. Und man hat das nicht sofort gesehen, sondern die Nachrichten von einem anderen Account ausserhalb von Google Hangouts kamen einfach nicht an…

Das hat mir dann den Rest gegeben: Ab sofort bin ich nicht mehr über Google Hangouts erreichbar, sondern nur noch per Jabber unter cringe@jabber.ccc.de. Wer mit mir chatten will, muss sich einen Jabber-Account auf einem Server besorgen, der seine User nicht im eigenen walled garden einsperrt. Und wenn ihr schon dabei seid, dann könnt ihr euch auch gleich Pidgin und das off-the-record Plugin installieren, mit dem ein Chat verschlüsselt werden kann. Dann kann weder Google, noch der Serverbetreiber, noch die NSA oder BND in euren Chats mitlesen. Und wenn ihr dann schon dabei seid, dann könnt ihr auch gleich die Chat-Logfiles auf eurer Festplatte abschalten und/oder löschen, damit der Bundestrojaner nicht eure Konversationen der letzten Jahre abschnorcheln und
zur Polizei übertragen kann.

Und weil ICH dann schon dabei bin, habe ich auch gleich Skype deinstalliert. Wer also mit mir Sprach-Chatten will, der sollte sich Mumble installieren und in einer GPG verschlüsselten Mail bei mir nachfragen, auf welchem Server ich erreichbar bin…

Und wer jetzt noch nicht bemerkt hat, wodrauf ich hinaus will: Wacht mal auf, nutzt freie Software und Verschlüsselung und behauptet nicht immer, ihr hättet nichts zu verbergen.

Installing Bukkit plugin RealEnchantment on server 1.6.1

Yesterday I decided it’s time to get some horses. Minecraft v1.6.1 is released and the new launcher
makes it easy to switch versions on the client side. At the same time, bukkit announced the first development build
for their server, so everything fell into place.

After the usual backup dance I downloaded the latest bukkit JAR file and started the server. Because I don’t
use plugins on my server, the update went without complications: download the new JAR, modify my startup script,
run it and the server was up.

Then I decided to have at least one plugin that will fix the stupid Minecraft enchantments: RealEnchantment

If you played more than 10 minutes of Minecraft, you already know that enchanting a tool, weapon or piece of
armor is more than frustrating: Spend 30 levels on a diamond sword and you get Bane of Athropods, Level 2

The description of RealEnchantment sounded like the solution to this problem:

Why using RealEnchantment?

Because RealEnchantment is different, firstly you don’t have to enchant your items
and hope that you get good enchantments. This is the luck factor that I don’t like.
But RealEnchantment has also a luck factor: the enchantment costs. If you want to
enchant an item with, for example fortune level 3, the cost of this enchantment is
not fixed. In our example there is a range from 23 level to 30 level, but the chance
to pay 30 level is higher than to pay 23 level. So the luck factor from the Minecraft
basics don’t get loss!
You use commands to enchant, but an enchantment table must be nearby.

So this plugin reverses the random part of enchantments: instead of paying fixed 30 levels and getting a random
enchantment, you spend a random amount of levels and get a fixed level of enchantment.

Although the plugin is not released for 1.6.1 yet, it ran just fine on my development channel server. The
only thing I had to change was running on JDK 7 instead of JDK 6. Maybe the plugin author will compile the
next JAR with a more downward compatible target switch – or maybe everyone is using JDK 7 now anyway.

Now at least I as a server admin can use the command /re fortune 3 to get an enchanted diamond pickaxe
with Fortune 3. To allow other players to use the command, I had to set up permissions. I decided to use
the plugin PermissionsEx (PEX in short).

After downloading the latest PEX JAR to my plugins directory and reloading the server, I started to edit
the file SERVER_ROOT/plugins/PermissionsEx/permissions.yml and added the following permissions to the default
group:

groups:
  default:
    default: true
    permissions:
    - modifyworld.*
    - RealEnchantment.basic
    - RealEnchantment.enchant.*    
    - RealEnchantment.list
    - RealEnchantment.info
    - RealEnchantment.prepayinfo

I didn’t assign all permissions starting with RealEnchantment. to users, but only the one necessary to enchant
items and get the help for the plugin commands. It’s not necessary to assign new groups to specific users, because
everyone on the server should have the /re command available. If you need to have a special group for that, you
can read up in the PEX documentation.